Monday, September 21, 2009
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Sunday, September 9, 2007
This week Apple has launched a full new line of iPods, including a touch screen model with wireless capabilities.
The new touch-screen iPod has many of the features of the iPhone including Internet connectivity using wi-fi technology. Moreover, Apple said iTunes will let iPhone users turn songs into ring tones and sell songs wirelessly to the iPhone and touch-screen iPod.
In addition, Apple has radically reduced the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399. As expected, the cut in price disappointed early adopter customers who bought the iPhone two months ago for $200 more. However, Apple CEO Steve Jobs, made a good move on time by offering these customers a $100 voucher to compensate for the inconvenience.
The price cut positions Apple’s iPhone closer to other smartphones including Palm’s Treo and Motorola’s Razr2, although it has less impact on firms like Nokia (the market leader), Samsung, or LG, because they have a wider range of phones than Palm.
Apple projected 1 million units sold by the end of September and 10 million by the end of 2008. Will it reach its expectations? Stay tuned.
Friday, August 31, 2007
Yahoo is building a new social network site that targets college students looking for employment. The service, called Yahoo Kickstart, will connect college students with alumni at the companies they would like to work for.
Similar to LinkedIn, users will have profile pages in resume style, as opposed to a multimedia Facebook or MySpace profile. However, the system will be based on Facebook’s company networks, where companies will have groups that college students will be able to join. Yahoo intends to expand Yahoo Kickstart on a viral invitation basis: in order to join a group, users will need an invite via a former student who works at that company.
The question is whether or not Yahoo will succeed at competing in the social network arena (particularly in the college student sector) with current well-established social network Facebook and professional networking site LinkedIn.
Over a year ago Yahoo offered $1 billion to acquire Facebook, which the firm rejected right away… Not surprisingly, now Yahoo is trying to make a serious move to take advantage of social networks’ potential. The concept sounds good and Yahoo has the resources to actually kickstart its new project. Stay tuned for more on this subject!
Sunday, July 22, 2007
The 20th Century FOX is doing a great job at promoting its new Simpson's movie coming out in theaters next Friday, July 27.
As part of a very creative marketing campaign, FOX partnered with convenience store chain 7-Eleven and turned a dozen stores into Kwik-E-Marts (the Simpsons' fictional convenience store run by Apu).
The more than 6,000 remaining 7-Elevens across United States will still sell Simpsons-related food and drink, including Buzz Cola and KrustyO's cereal, which have previously only been seen on the TV show.
Moreover, FOX's official Simpsons' Movie website allows users not only to watch the movie trailer, or taking a virtual tour around Springfield, but also playing games online and even creating your own personalized Simpsons' avatar.
Sunday, July 15, 2007
…is a virtue characterized by firmness of purpose and resoluteness.
Determination is not just the Word of this week; it’s one of my favorite words, my inspiration, and the main reason why I chose it as the name for my new personal domain.
Without challenge there is no achievement
- “Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.” - Gail Devers
- “You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein
- “We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the course of history.” - Sonia Johnson
- “You've got to get up every morning with determination if you're going to go to bed with satisfaction.” - George Lorimer
- “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” - Og Mandino
- “Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind.” - Leonardo da Vinci
- “The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.” - Tommy Lasorda
- “The miracle, or the power, that elevates the few is to be found in their perseverance under the promptings of a brave, determined spirit.” - Mark Twain
- “People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don't know when to quit. Most men succeed because they are determined to.” - George Allen
- “Some are destined to succeed, some are determined to succeed.” - H. H. Swami Tejomayananda